Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:58:05 +0200
From:      Marko Zec <zec@fer.hr>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@yandex-team.ru>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Net <net@freebsd.org>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@freebsd.org>, "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>, Sami Halabi <sodynet1@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Network stack changes

On Tuesday 24 September 2013 00:46:46 Sami Halabi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > http://info.iet.unipi.it/~**luigi/papers/20120601-dxr.pdf<http://info.i
> >et.unipi.it/~luigi/papers/20120601-dxr.pdf>
> > http://www.nxlab.fer.hr/dxr/**stable_8_20120824.diff<http://www.nxlab.f
> >er.hr/dxr/stable_8_20120824.diff>
>
> I've tried the diff in 10-current, applied cleanly but had errors
> compiling new kernel... is there any work to make it work? i'd love to
> test it.

Even if you'd make it compile on current, you could only run synthetic tests
measuring lookup performance using streams of random keys, as outlined in
the paper (btw. the paper at Luigi's site is an older draft, the final
version with slightly revised benchmarks is available here:
http://www.sigcomm.org/sites/default/files/ccr/papers/2012/October/2378956-2378961.pdf)

I.e. the code only hooks into the routing API for testing purposes, but is
completely disconnected from the forwarding path.

We have a prototype in the works which combines DXR with Netmap in userspace
and is capable of sustaining well above line rate forwarding with
full-sized BGP views using Intel 10G cards on commodity multicore machines.
The work was somewhat stalled during the summer but I plan to wrap it up
and release the code until the end of this year.  With recent advances in
netmap it might also be feasible to merge DXR and netmap entirely inside
the kernel but I've not explored that path yet...

Marko