Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2021 19:36:39 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OS to replace FreeBSD

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 13:02:49 -0400, Jerry wrote:
>In any case, I am thinking of either Fedora, Debian or Arch Linux. I
>was just looking for recommendations from anyone who has used those
>systems.

I'm using Arch Linux for my daily desktop PC usage. While it's the most
stable distro I've ever used, the real rolling release approach
requires some special manual interventions from time to time. It's
useful to join https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-announce to
get informed of changes that might require manual intervention. I can't
comment on using Arch Linux for server usage. A pro might be that
auditing installed packages against known vulnerabilities can run
automatically when doing updates by using a transaction hook. If you
want to test your server's security you might be interested in
https://blackarch.org/ in addition to an Arch install.

RPM packages used by e.g. Fedora are rocket science to me. I'm a little
bit used to DEB packages used by Debian and Ubuntu, but they are kind
of rocket science, too. Arch packages are straight shell scripts, let
alone that the attitude of Arch Linux is similar to FreeBSD, see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System .