Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 02:39:48 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        John Smith <ludwicza@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: colors really dark

in message <F86irm9ezrmjZ7zgTpi0000fc8b@hotmail.com>,
wrote John Smith thusly...

> I was thinking about 8-bit
> color for a second, but does a default install automatically pick this for
> you, and is there any way of changing it?

see XFree86 manual(s) and/or XF86Config somewhere in /etc.

> I've used Linux for a few years,
> and I know how vim looks between every Linux system by default with syntax
> highlighting on, it's just it very dark in FreeBSD's console.  I installed
> gnuls and found it to be a much better alternative to FreeBSD's ls, since it
> does sorting by extension, and the colors are much brighter, and easier to
> see.

well, as far as ls(1) & gnuls(1) are concerned, they just use different
"fonts" & colors. for ls, all the colored listing are in normal font,
i.e. not bold. whereas, gnuls uses bold fonts, which happens to be
in "bright"er version of the same color than normal font.

for directories, both ls & gnuls use blue, which is very unreadable
on dark background. however, gnuls also uses bolder font, which helps
a little.

and for executable files and symlinks, gnuls uses bold font and
bright(green,cyan), while ls uses red and magenta, respectively. color
choices for ls, in this case, are not easily readable on dark
background, understandably.

you may be able to change to color definitions. to get some idea, see
vidcontrol(1) and xterm(1) in addition.

 - parv