Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:46:37 -0600
From:      Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool little 100BaseTX switch - they're coming down in price

> something like this (which is fine...), but I was wondering how
> much one has to fork out before you get extra options like a
> port-mirroring capability...

  You usually find this capability on managed switches (fairly obvious,
since you need a management interface to configure port mirroring).  This
usually means SNMP capable too.

  So do your regular search on a managed switch or SNMP capable switch
and chances are it will do what you want.

  Allied Telesyn probably has the lowest price managed switch I've seen
but I think Netgear has one too.  I am too lazy to dig up information at
the moment - let me know if you have trouble finding them.

  Best bang for the buck category:  HP ProCurve 4000M.  40 switched 10/100
ports (that's with the chassis half filled).  $1499 (with a $400 HP rebate)
from www.warehouse.com.  Try not to buy up all the inventory because we're
going to need one or two soon.  :-)

  Tim