Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:09:42 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Peter Clark <clarkp@mtmary.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crusty upgrade (was Make Question)

--------------enigEE9866E2A7312CB0B030CB6B

Peter Clark wrote:
> Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>>> 5.1 (in fact all 5.X) has reached EOL. The latest ports tree won't
>>> compile stuff for 5.X.  Use the following line in your ports-supfile =
>>> get the last ports tree that was supported in 5.X:
>>>
>>> *default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELEASE_5_EOL
>>>
>>> instead of
>>>
>>> *default release=3Dcvs tag=3D.
>>>
>>> Still, since this is going to be really old you may still have proble=
ms
>>> (missing distfiles and so on). But is worth trying if you must stay w=
ith
>>> 5.X for whatever reason.
>>
>> One thing it won't do is get you any of the bug fixes to the ssh port.=

> As a number of people have pointed out this is turning into a bigger=20
> headache than it needs to be. The good thing is that allowed me to get =

> the ok to upgrade the system. This box will be taken out of service in =

> the near future but I do need it to remain functional for a couple mont=
hs.
>=20
> Is there a recommended upgrade path? I know about cvsup and whatnot.=20
> What I mean is are there some blatant gotchas when making this big a=20
> jump (5.1p18 -> 6.4)? Are there some recommended stops along the way or=
=20
> can it be done in one fell swoop. Is Colin Percival's freebsd-update.sh=
=20
> a viable way to approach this?
> http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007-11-11-freebsd-major-version-upgrad=
e.html=20
>=20
> This is a production box so I want to cover my bases before I jump into=
=20
> this.

FreeBSD 5.1 was a transitional release between the old 4.x series where
the giant lock reigned supreme, multiprocessor support and threading had =
not
been very well developed; and 5.4 or above where the essentials of the mo=
dern fine-grained locking, multithreaded, multicpu-core style were establ=
ished.=20
Which means that upgrading across those versions is only for gurus or mas=
ochists.
It's also way before freebsd-update was available (possibly even before i=
t was
conceived in the mind of Colin).

My recommendation is to buy a replacement HDD (or HDDs), swap into the ma=
chine
reserving the old disk(s) as your fall-back in case of disaster, and then=
 build
a new system from scratch using an up to date version of the OS.  Given t=
he HDDs
in that box must be about 4 years old anyhow, swapping out the disks is a=
 pretty
good idea just from a reliability point of view.  Personally I'd go for 7=
=2E2-RELEASE
on the basis that a) it performs better than 6.x and b) there's more supp=
ort
lifetime remaining for the 7.x series.

	Cheers,

	Matthew