Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 23:37:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <uid0@catastrophe.net>, <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec Controller (subtitled: best bang for buck?)

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Mike Smith wrote:

> > I was hoping to get some insight on the Adaptec 2100S controller; have
> > there been any pitfalls or perils that anyone has run into in setting
> > this up with 5-6 36GB 10K drives?
> >
> > I'm looking to put up a box with hardware level RAID5 or possible
> > RAID5+1. Is it smart to boot from a RAID device? The last time I
> > looked at this was about two years ago and things seemed a bit "iffy".

I was at LinuxWorld yesterday and I stopped by the 3ware booth. They told
me they were going to announce Raid 5 for their controllers.

Depending on needs this may be suitable for many people..

Mike, have you got that tested with FreeBSD yet?
They told me it would be a free downloadable upgrade to all 6X00 cards.

I asked them for the monitoring utility and the (most likely clueless rep)
said that development of that utility had been transfered to the FreeBSD
project. Is that the case?