Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 08:40:41 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world on FreeBSD-stable impossible. cc1: ... signal 11

One additional experience...

Now I setup every scsi device in aha2940 controller setup to
5.0 MB/sec. SCSI transfer speed.

Went into single user mode made a file system check first
after that mount -at ufs (so that root additionally gets rw)
and then a make world.

The make world stopped earlier then the one with 10MB/sec
SCSI bus speed, so I assume, that there isn't the trouble.

with 10MB/sec.:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  447178 Sep 27 07:45 /usr/src/world.log

Here it was a control character in libg++'s header file, that
vanished after rebooting

with 5MB/sec.:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  384177 Sep 27 09:20 /usr/src/world.log2
Here it was an internal compiler error...
After that internel compiler error I'm not able to compile
anything. Even a helloworld.c fails with that message. Signal
10 or 11 ...
My hello world simply looks the following, without including
stdio ...
main(){ printf("Hello\n");}

What I forgot to mention is, that my filesystem isn't stable,
too. After the first failed make world I did a fsck in single
user mode, which reported a DUP in root-fs. It was one of
my test kernels, that wasn't active (/kernel.STABLE), I'm
booting currently kernel.STABLE2, /kernel is a simple link
to kernel.STABLE2. My root fs is a small little fs without
much traffic ... but it seems to get trashed sometimes.
It isn't the first time, that I get these dups.

The preening fsck doesn't report any errors. Only if I
do the whole fsck in simgle user mode, then I'll see these
errors.

Could it be, that the in core images of something will be
trashed and that on system shutdown these things are
written to fs - fs gets unmounted without problems and
the preening fsck on the next reboot thinks, fine, fs
was properly unmounted, fs state ok .... ?!?!?!

Same with gcc ... might it be the case, that in core images
of shared libs in memory get trashed, so that dynamically
build programs like the C-Compiler doesn't work anymore,
if there is a in core damage of some shared lib in memory ???

What I didn't mention is, that working under X11 generally
works ok, longer sessions (many hours) sometimes work ok.
But sometimes X simply hangs ....

--
$$ apsfilter - magic print filter 4lpd      @home : andreas@knobel.gun.de
$$ ftp://sunsite.unc.edu                    @work : andreas@sunny.wup.de