Date:      Fri, 12 May 2006 23:29:59 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        FreeBSD Gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: audio cd play

--=-tATymjKvE6t5xGqEpMSg

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 10:48 -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
> In my gnome applications menu (2.14) I have two 'CD player'
> items under 'Sound and Video' ... I think one of these comes
> from goobox (grey CD icon) and the other (red CD icon) I
> guess comes from stock gnome.
>=20
> i) how do I change their names so I can know which one I
> click? (OK, now I can distinguish them by the color of their
> icons but I had to do some digging ...)

You'd have to hack the desktop files associated with each one.  This is
best done in the port, but you can also do it with the installed files
in /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/applications.

>=20
> ii) both CD players are sensitive to other activity (mostly
> CPU load, but also simple things like accessing menus or
> working with windows). Right now I=AFm building ports in the
> background and CD playing goes along fine, but if I start to
> open a couple of nautilus windows, or scrolling a long page
> in firefox, I can hear some glitches and pauses (sometimes
> even moving the mouse from one window to another, thus
> causing to switch focus, makes cd playing glitch).

Yeah, this can happen now that the audio is ripped from the CD instead
of playing directly to the soundcard.  This change was done to
accommodate newer desktop machines that shipped without a direct
connection between CD-ROM and soundcard.

>=20
> I have the audio output of my CD reader directly connected
> to my sound card (besides the mandatory IDE cable) ... so
> why does the CPU and or desktop activity affect CD playing
> at all? This is something that my old Macintosh still does
> well ... it takes about half a minute to open Adobe
> Illustrator (and Mac OS 9 is not a multitasking OS, so I
> cannot use another app or do anything else while I wait) and
> still CD playing goes along like when the CPU is idle.
>=20
> Is this a gnome issue or a more general FreeBSD issue?

This was a decision made by the goobox and gnome-media authors (see
above).  The BSD-specific backend for gnome-cd may still be in the code.
But you'd have to hack the Makefile at least to use it instead of the
cdparanoia backend.

>=20
> Fernan
>=20
> PS: FreeBSD-6.1, gnome-2.14 running on a pIII 600MHz, 768MB RAM

Given these stats, you may want to opt for a port like xmcd which still
supports playing CDs directly to the soundcard.

Joe

--=20

--=-tATymjKvE6t5xGqEpMSg

--=-tATymjKvE6t5xGqEpMSg--