Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 00:51:45 -0500
From:      "Christopher M. Giordano" <CGiordano@ids.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Harry Newton <harry_newton@telinco.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: KLD at boot time

Harry Newton wrote:

> ( 4.3-RC FreeBSD 4.3-RC #0: Wed Mar 28 )
> I was just playing around with putting the support for my Soundblaster
> Live card in modules, when I came across a quirk:
>
> In /boot/loader.conf:
>
> snd_emu10k1_load="YES"
> snd_pcm_load="YES"
>
> ( having removed device pcm from kernel config file ).
>
> But this doesn't work ! The boot messages give:
>
>   Preloaded elf module "snd_emu10k1.ko" at 0xc035e0fb
>   link_elf: symbol sndbuf_getbps undefined
>   Preload elf module "snd_pcm.ko" at 0xc035e19c
>
> Changing the order of the lines in /boot/loader.conf makes no
> difference. However, if I unload the modules by hand at boot time, and
> then explicitly load them in the right order ( pcm then emu10k1 )
> and then boot, there's no problem.

  I experienced similar effects with the Sound Blaster 16 module.
  Try omitting the "snd_pcm_load" line altogether and let the loader
  figure out the dependencies on its own.  That has worked for me.

Chris Giordano
CGiordano@ids.net
--
The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.