Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:05:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        peter@netplex.com.au (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), gcorcoran@lucent.com (Gary T. Corcoran), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Module parameters? (WildWire DSL card driver)

> > I guess I'm asking "What moron would want to intentionally disable
> > system resource tracking?".
>
> Who said anything about disabling system resource tracking?  "track all
> closes" means to call the devsw d_close function for *each* close, not just
> for the "last close" as 99% of our drivers expect...  If we suddenly caused
> d_close() to be called on every close() syscall, then existing drivers break
> because they are used to freeing everything and cleaning up when the close
> function is called.

Who remembers the open that resulted in the close, if not
the driver?

Perhaps I'm merely complaining that there are not seperate
"close" and "last_close" entry points, since exposing a
"last_close" entry point, and then a generic "close" handler
that calls "last_close" when the reference count goes from
1->0, which is ignored if the driver has a non-generic
handler.  Not much of a namespace exposure kludge.

I guess I'm anout as annoyed as I was when supposed "bit rot"
killed the ISODE and X.25 functioning, when certain kernel
interfaces were redefined, without the person doing the
redefintion taking care to maintain all caller instances,
or when a similar thing ate LFS.

8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org