Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 2010 19:14:21 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   hald vs dvd+rw

It seems that hald behavior might be causing some issues with re-writing DVD±RW
media.  I specifically mean the case when media already contains CD9660 or UDF
filesystem and is being re-written with new data.
It seems that when hald notices old volume going away, it attempts to re-taste the
media while a burning program, e.g. growisofs, may be writing data to the media.
At the very least it produces messages in system log like the following:
kernel: (cd0:ahcich5:0:0:0): READ TOC/PMA/ATIP. CDB: 43 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0
kernel: (cd0:ahcich5:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
kernel: (cd0:ahcich5:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
kernel: (cd0:ahcich5:0:0:0): SCSI sense: NOT READY asc:4,8 (Logical unit not
ready, long write in progress)

At the worst, it causes confusion for the burning program.
This happens with recent versions of 9-CURRENT and 8-STABLE, when using atacam and
ahci driver for programs like growisofs from dvd+rw-tools and cdrecord from
cdrecord-devel.  And, of course, for frontends that use those as backends.

I am not sure how to resolve this properly.
Perhaps, hald could have a special treatment for 'Logical unit not ready, long
write in progress' sense from TEST UNIT READY command.
--
Andriy Gapon