Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 96 03:31:32 GMT
From:      farofia@mail.telepac.pt (farofia)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building floppies

Dear Sirs,

In the INSTALL.TXT file you mention that the files should be copied to disks in
directories
named, for instance, \bin\bin.aa or just \bin. As foreign, it's not very clear
to me if,
for example, the bin.aa file should be copied to a directorie called \bin\bin.aa
or to \bin.

In this file you also mention that 5 files should be copied to each 1.44Mb disk,
but as a
matter of fact, each disk can hold 6 files (with 5 the space free is 254000
bytes - the
files have 240000 bytes). Should I copy 5 or 6 ? This must have to do with some
users that
have 1.2Mb disks.

The OS FreeBSD is only the bin files ? If not, where are the other components
(besides software) ?

My internet connection is dial-up. If I install only the bin files does FreeBSD
have support for this ? (so I can download his software) If not can I download
software for it with DOS and then install it in FreeBSD ?

I have a CD-ROM (Pioneer DRUA-124X). Will FreeBSD work with it ?
The CD-ROM is connected to a SoundBlaster AWE32. The card as two connectors.
One, as
described in the manual, is a IDE controller. The other is for Creative's
CD-ROM.
When I boot with the disk created by the image file ATAPI.FLP, I run configure
(-c option),
to check out the hardware configurations. There were 24 conflicts. In the
'visual' option
I saw that all the CD-ROM configurations appeared with 'conflict' warning. All
but one.
The one of 'mcd10', port 340, IRQ 11. But my IDE interface on the AWE32 is
configured to
IRQ 15 (it won't work with other configuration). Should I configure FreeBSD to
look out for
the CD on that IRQ ? If so, in wich CD option should I set that (mcd0, mcd1,
matcd0, scd0)
 ? Isn't the hard disk configured to IRQ 15 ?
I'm telling you this, because I bought OS/2 and I can't get it to work with my
CD and I
can't get in touch with Pioneer, so they can give me the driver.

You say that FreeBSD is SoundBlaster compatible. The setup table doesn't show
any options
to configure that card. Is it compatible ?

Thank you very much for your time.

Joao Pedras

Ps : I'm a computer science student. I'd like in the future to be of some help
for this
project.