Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:57:53 -0800
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFR: Volume labels in FFS

--IoCMmVDh1/K3iHvq

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 04:52:57PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 1:22 PM -0800 1/24/03, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> >I'd like to get some review of my patch to add volume label
> >support to FFS.  I've already changed struct fs (sorry non-i386
> >users) to allocate some space for the label. I'm looking to
> >commit this relatively soon unless there is some major problems
> >with the review.
> >
> >http://people.freebsd.org/~gordon/patches/volume.diff
> >
> >The patch is basically a GEOM module (which allows you to use
> >volume labels for your root partition is you so desire (my
> >laptop's root slice is mounted from /dev/vol/rootfs)) and a
> >couple modifications to add labels (newfs, tunefs).
>=20
> This sounds interesting.  The patch looks like it just adds
> support for setting and retrieving the label.  How will this
> be usable at the /etc/fstab level?  Will this let us do something
> similar to what linux allows for /etc/fstab, such as:
>    LABEL=3D/blah  /mnt/blah   ufs  rw  2 2
>=20
> (if so, I'd also like something like:
>    IFLABEL=3D/blah  /mnt/blah   ufs  rw  2 2
> which means *iff* the OS finds a partition labelled /blah, then
> it should mount it at /mnt/blah, and that it is *not* an error
> when no such labelled volume is found)

No, it actually creates device nodes in /dev/vol/<volname>, so it be more
like this:

/dev/vol/rootfs     /       ufs rw 1 1
/dev/vol/usrfs      /usr    ufs rw 2 2
=2E..etc...

I didn't go the Linux route and do LABEL=3D<foo> because there is alot of
black magic in the loader that reads /etc/fstab looking for the root
partition and I didn't want to mess with fstab.h and friends.

-gordon

-gordon

--IoCMmVDh1/K3iHvq

--IoCMmVDh1/K3iHvq--