Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2012 19:40:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug <doug@fledge.watson.org>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: recommendation(s) for new computer

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012, Mark Felder wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:34:11 -0500, Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> As do Intel (video) drivers....
>
> Not if they require GEM/KMS like all the modern variants do; they're not
> supported in FreeBSD yet. I have a laptop (Google CR48) that's running the
> very experimental GEM/KMS code because otherwise it's stuck with a horrible
> resolution. Even with a custom kernel and custom ports/X11 patches it still
> has quirks like not being able to get your vty back after you start X.

Is there a PR on this, or at least are the developers aware of it? I could not
find a PR. I am running an out-of-the-box 9.0. I tested xorg 7.5 with nothing
else other than xdm installed does and got this result. This makes it impossible
to investigate any other issues that might arise.

My setup:
   FreeBSD artemis.boltsys.com 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0:
   Tue Jan  3 07:46:30 UTC 2012
   root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

   xorg-7.5.1
   xdm-1.1.11