Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:52:57 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Jaakko Salomaa <jsalomaa@saunalahti.fi>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A new package fetching utility, pkg_get

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> > This is quite interesting and I'm looking at it now.  Just one quick
> > question though - why did you "roll your own" ftp I/O handling instead
> > of simply using fetch(3) or ftpio(3)?
>
> Alas, it also seems to have a "default" ftp site. I don't think
> that's a good idea (remember CHANGE_THIS.freebsd.org :). An
> environment variable would do just as well, except... this is the
> kind of tool like to be used by clueless users, which are the ones
> most likely to really want a default site.

It's designed to be easy to use, so it first checks -s parameter, then
PKGSERVER environment variable, then the machine's toplevel domain. If the
toplevel domain contains only two letters it attemps to use
ftp.<tld>.freebsd.org, else it defaults to ftp.freebsd.org and prompts
whether the user wants to use it.

BTW, I'm now utilizing ftpio(3) instead of my own kludge, I'll probably
send a new message to -hackers when the new version is ready. (I'm going
to spend a few days somewhere else.)

May you live long and prosper.
Jaakko Salomaa