Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:52:11 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        "'rjk191@psu.edu'" <rjk191@psu.edu>, jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: re-compiling ports after cvsup

	Woah, that'll make ALL of the ports, not just the ones you have
installed.  I hope you have several gig to burn on that partition.  The
distfiles alone will be over 1.7GB.

> > Also, when trying the new version of a port, even though
> > the package may have a different name, won't the binary have the same
> > name and overwrite the older version?
>
> Yes, but the idea is to try the new version in the build directory
> (without installing it). Don't run make install until you think it's a
> good idea.

	Yes you can do this.  But it'll add clutter in several ways.
	#1) /var/pkg will get full of information on all the old and new
versions, and it can become confusing to, say the least.
	#2) What if a new version of a program doesn't have the exact same
packing list.  You'll end up having old files from old versions hanging
around your system, taking up space and causing confusion as well.  Binaries
aren't always the only thing installed with a port.  There can be config
files, documentation, libraries, etc...

	Unfortunately there is no equivalent to "make buildworld" for _just_
the ports you have installed.

	Has anyone pointed out the pkg_version, in the ports collection?  It
goes through the list of installed ports, and the list of available ports in
/usr/ports and tells you which ones need updating.

	-Chris