Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:33:27 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        BRIskater@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation Hell...

First off, all questions should be sent to
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org. We pick out stuff we need to make clear
in the docs from that list most times.

BRIskater@aol.com wrote:

> First let me tell you a little bit about my computer.  It is a Dell 300Mhz
> 64mb of ram US Robotics modem, 1 6.1 GB hard driver, etc.  The standard
> computer that Dell sold about a year ago.  Right now I have partitioned off my
> computer with Partition Magic into four partitions.  The Boot Manager, two
> primary Win95 partitions, one mine and one my parents, and one extended
> partition containing a backup Win95 and a shared partition which is called D:
> in my partition and I think that's what it is in my parents.

	Right away you have a problem, there is no place to install FreeBSD
there. FreeBSD must have its own (what DOS/Windows would call) PRIMARY
partition. It cannot be installed in an extended logical drive.

>         What I want to do is install FreeBSD and what I've gathered from your page is
> that I need to go to ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ and download
> something from there.

	No, you should DEFINITELY not install -Current. You want to start with
a -Release version of FreeBSD. Go to
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.7-RELEASE/, read ALL of the *.TXT
documents, and plan your installation from there.

> If I make the FreeBSD partition the
> active one then Boot Manager will not come up.  The only way I can think of to
> get the Boot Manager back up is put in the Partition Magic Rescue floppy in
> and then select the Boot Manager as the active partition.

	That's exactly right. I use Boot Manager myself and this is like a 2
second operartion.

> Please help me.  I
> hope this e-mail has also explained to you what some of use non assembly code
> programmers have trouble with.  I thought I was good with computers, I know
> some C++ and Java and Perl, but installing FreeBSD WOW!!!! now that's hard
> stuff!!!!

	Actually installing FreeBSD on a dedicated machine is simplicity
itself. It's when you start juggling 2 or 3 operating systems on the
same computer that it gets pretty dense. As a veteran of this operation
I can sympathize fully with you, but it is possible to do if you are
persistent and aren't afraid to learn some things along the way. :)

Good luck,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
     - Yiddish Proverb