Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 06:17:09 GMT
From:      attila! <attila@hun.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ROOTDEVNAME error in conf/LINT

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Bruce Evans wrote:

*Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:15:25 +1000
*From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
*To: attila@hun.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
*
*>    in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT
*>
*>options         ROOTDEVNAME=\"da0s2e\"
*>
*>    must be specified as:
*>
*>options         ROOTDEVNAME="da0s2e"
*>
*>    else 'make depend' loses the string. w/o quotes it's just an
*>    undefined.  parser change to eliminate quote requirements
*>    for config file defines obviated need for hard quotes in
*>    ROOTDEVNAME>. "config" does not grok the errors.
*
*No.  At least in -current, the former works, but latter gives no quotes
*in opt_rootdevname.h and thus a syntax error in autoconf.c.
*

    not so...

    former does does not work in -current as of current build
    from cvs files through Thu 17 Jun 99 0616 GMT.  the back-slashes
    hose config.  the quotes w/o the literal are parsed correctly in
    last 48 hours....

*>    am one of those who suffers from lack of politically correct
*>    attitude -- I dont do M$lop (refuse to), so why should I
*>    worry about slices? never need slices before M$lop....  however,
*>    that may change as SCSI disk sizes keep climbing and too large
*>    partitions take performance hits.
*>
*>    alternative is to change MAXPARTITIONS?  to 16?
*
*One reason is that the slice data format is better.  It doesn't have
*arbitrary limits like 8 or 16 (it's essentially a linked list).
*

    are you suggesting a layout for a disk pair such as:

	--------------- disk 0

	da0s1a	100M	root
	da0s1b	250M	swap

	da0s2c	1G	/usr
	da0s3c	1G	/usr/src
	da0s4c	2G	/user
	da0s5c	1G	/usr/local/etc/www/data

	--------------- disk 1

	da1s1e	100 M	/tmp
	da1s1b	250	swap

	da1s2c	1G	/usr/X11R6
	da1s3c	4G	/usr/prod
	da1s4c	1G	/var

    you say there is no arbitrary limit on slices?  but...

	<sys/diskslice.h>:	#define	MAX_SLICES	32

    is the data format better? if so, why? using a slice as a partition
    does not change the organization of the real estate under FFS if
    the slice then contains a single "partition" --is it easier to
    translate slice-partition than it is to translate cylinder-sector
    information for multiple partitions on a non-sliced disk?

    OTOH, if you muck with the partition limit, in <sys/diskslice.h>
    you run into a wall:

	#ifdef MAXPARTITIONS		/* XXX don't depend on disklabel.h */
	#if MAXPARTITIONS !=	8	/* but check consistency if possible */
	#error  "inconsistent MAXPARTITIONS"
	#endif
	#else
	#define	MAXPARTITIONS	8
	#endif

    and it will need to be patched as it flat overrides changing
    MAXPARTITIONS in <sys/disklabel.h>  this raises a flag... why
    the bomb?

    or was there a major change in FFS with the advent of the slice?
    [I'll admit to not _seriously_ looking at the FFS partition code
    since the early 80s... <g>]

    the only reason that merits discussion is the "obscene" sizes
    of the current generation disks -- 25 Gbyte... 30 Gbyte, etc.
    if you start defining partitions at 8 Gbyte, you have a large
    number of cylinders-sectors in the current mapping, which also
    means a larger number of spare tables to be maintained --all of
    which probably translates into more accessing latency if you
    are not doing softupdates which is an idea I am not comfortable
    with.

    the problem is that the disks will get larger and larger and
    the disk version of Parkinson's Law will obviously follow.

    I can remember going into ecstasy when I took shipment of two
    680 Mbyte Fujitsu 10" platter Eagles --one for each VAX...
    cost me about $12,500 each plus $2,000 for the controller. of
    course, the VAX750 core box was $38,000 OEM at that time...
    the point is, we lived with no storage; today, I can not live
    with 9 Gbyte on the desktop... and a 9Gbyte SCSI drive is <$500.
    and, to really show my antiquity --IBM 30 gal "pony" magnetic
    drums... or "walking" the washing machine RP4s...

    one obvious maneuver might be to increase the absolute sector
    size from the industry standard of 512 --this requires
    cooperation from the hardware vendors.  yeah, sure...!

    we can fake it, and do, but with less success.

	attila out...

    freeBSD: The Power to Serve!         _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |
    Release 4.0 - The Fast Lane!   _ __ ___ ____ _____ |___/___/___/