Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 16:56:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Latitude CPi

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Christian Kuhtz wrote in message ID
> <19981115210831.A5535@ns1.adsu.bellsouth.com>:
> > Anyone out there who also has a Dell Latitude CPi 266XD notebook and would
> > like to share configuration experiences?  If so, please contact me at
> > ck@adsu.bellsouth.com.  I will summarize.
>
> I have one (through work). Seems to work OK. Caveats:
>
> 1) Uses the NeoMagic display chipset, so either wait for the new XF86 release
>    or get AccelX from www.xig.com (I prefer the latter ... accelx is just
>    so much nicer. No offense to the XFree group)

I'd have to agree 100% on this one. I just tried the new XFree86-3.3.3
release and the NeoMagic support just isn't there yet. The AccelX is
great!

> 2) Sound controller was interesting to get working. The following line in
>    your config file should get it working tho:
>
> device pcm0 at isa ? port ? tty irq 5 drq 0 vector pcmintr
>
> Its a Crystal 4237b (which I thought was a PnP chip, but PnP probes find
> nothign) according to Dell, but FreeBSD finds it as a ``SoundBlaster Pro 3.2''.

I've been having a lot of trouble with the sound on mine. I seem to have
the kernel configured and built properly. But I can't seem to get sound
out to work, or rather, the only sound I get out of the speakers is what
seems to be coming in over the microphone. It's as if what I am getting is
just pass-through but I can't seem to get anything to play out of the
speakers.

Anyone got any clues on what I might look for on this sound thing?

> It ships (or mine did, probably as options that the company specified) with a
> Psion Dacom v.90 faxmodem (the ``Gold Card'') which seems to work (haven't
> really tested it yet), and a ``Dell Fast Ethernet'' which is actually a 3com
> CardBus 10/100 card (which doesn't work at all under FreeBSD as we have no
> CardBus support).

The Psion modem has worked great for me thus far. I've got no complaints
at all. The fax portion has been very sketchy and I've had a lot of
trouble with getting it to work with hylafax, but that's not too critical
right now.

> All in all, not bad if you don't have to pay for it :)

Actually I did pay for main and I like it a lot ;-) but then I bought it
because it had such a good track record in terms of handling abuse.

Colin E. Johnson | colinj@unm.edu | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
". . .so I simply point to where I keep the soul I have, right by the
exit, just next to the blues." --Nick Hornby _High_Fidelity_