Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2008 09:08:22 -0600
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nathanw@uchicago.edu>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org, Nathan Whitehorn <nathanw@uchicago.edu>,  freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No X server on Alpha?

David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 09:42:05AM -0600, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>> After forcing xorg-server to link -lio, everyone works perfectly. I even
>> have Firefox (1.5) and pidgin running without issue. And with the recent
>
> Can you send a patch in to fix the port(s)?

Unfortunately, my Alpha has some hardware issue and will no longer boot.
It started while trying to run Firefox (I suspect X doesn't respect the
DMA bug in the pass 1 Pyxis). This crashed the machine a couple times,
and I kept retrying it, and now it won't do anything. Without X, it was
rock-solid, and Firefox worked fine over X forwarding. Other X programs
that didn't use large pixmaps worked fine too. Once I get the machine
back up, I'll send in a patch.

Incidentally, if anyone has any experience debugging Alphas, I'd
appreciate help. It's an AlphaPC 164SX and is stopping at POST code
0x14, which the manual informs me indicates "Memory errors cleared;
start reading system ROM".
-Nathan