Date:      6 Apr 1999 01:17:20 -0000
From:      mark thompson <thompson@squirrel.tgsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound

Well, I have spent an interesting afternoon with sound. Perhaps it
would help if I knew what I was doing, but I don't, and so it goes.

I am running 3.1-stable about a week old.

I have a pnp/isa sound card based on the  ESS1868.

The Luigi driver does not seem to be able to run it (dma doesn't seem to
happen, then times out). Bummer.

The VoxWare driver configured like this:
controller snd0

# SoundBlaster DSP driver - for SB, SB Pro, SB16, PAS(emulating SB)
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 10 drq 1
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

Will play .au files ok, but realaudio produces garbled nonsense.

If I add this:
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5

It always produces garbled nonsense.

NOTE: The software from 4Front works great on this card (so that's
what i did).

Now then... I wonder why x11amp make the system freeze and reboot...

-mark