Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 1996 18:20:14 -0600
From:      Thomas Mitchell Shaw III <zeidaot@l1.conline.com>
To:        "'questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problems figuring out my etc hosts.

Im running FreeBSD 2.1 CD Release, I do a cd install, I install the package using
the novice install at which point it ask me to do a net config which asks me to fill
in my computers name "zeid" and my domain name "conline.com" at which point
my /etc/hosts looks like this.

127.0.0.1		localhost.conline.com localhost
204.96.7.67		zeid.conline.com zeid

Which is probably correct but, Im not certain due to the fact that when the system
boots up with this /etc/hosts file, the sendmail daemon process halts during the
bootup process, and I have to ctrl-c to continue the bootup process. And the
user process PPPD Written by Toshiharu Ohno will not start with this hosts file.
And my simple pppd/chat login to my isp scripts fails miserably, I call up and can't
even ping my provider. So the default /etc/hosts dosn't work.. I was told how  to fix
this problem to edit my hosts file to look like this.

127.0.0.1		localhost zeid.conline.com

At which point the bootup process works, it boots up normally, and the user process
pppd by Ohno actually starts and works great. And my pppd/chat login script works
great. But when I start my Apache 1.0.3 server and then start Netscape v2.0 and try to
http://zeid.conline.com to look at my own web page it tells me cannot find "zeid.conline.com"
:( I have to http:// to my own ip address which changes every time I dial in. Also when I
try to run Satan-1.1.1, I always get the error cannot find localhost:1026 and I know it's
the /etc/host file thats screwing things up. But atleast I can connect to the Internet 2 different
ways, with the user-mode ppp, and the kernel pppd.  I e-mailed Wietse Venema to ask him if
he had a quick fix for the "cannot find localhost:1026" error satan give's me, and this is what he
said of my "hosts" file thats works, "Such a setup makes sense only for a machine that is not
attached to a network". hehe Does anybody have any idea's ?? Any suggestons would help
 thanks :)

              			Thanks zeid
				zeidaot@conline.com