Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 05:11:30 -0700
From:      Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Unknown" driver gobbles resources??

Hi all,

In the process of learning device driver writing, I have written a
simple skeleton driver for an isa PnP card I have. Thanks to some kind
folks on the list I have ironed out most of my confusion. However I've
run into a strange problem that has me stumped.

Although this driver works (successfully probes, attaches, and gets it's
needed io resources) when compiled into the kernel, if I compile it as a
loadable module it fails to get it's io resources when loaded, and if I
try to then unload it, the kernel panics (as the driver trys to release
resources that were never allocated). I found that if I remove the
"unknown" driver in isa_common.c with #if 0...#endif, my driver will
load just fine!

So my question is this: Do I need to do anything special to recover the
resources from the unknown driver so that during loading *my* module can
get the resources it needs?? Do I need to add something to my identify,
probe, or attach routines to make this work right?

Thanks again.
--
Regards, Devin.