Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:58:12 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Peter <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: no serial port: "configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs"

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 01:15:57PM -0500, Peter wrote:
> I cannot get FreeBSD 6.0 to recognize my serial port.  I am using the
> ASUS K8V-X SE motherboard[1].  It only has serial port but dmesg
> suggests there are two:
>
> sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio0: port may not be enabled
> sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on
> acpi0
> sio0: type 16550A
> sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio1: port may not be enabled

It looks like FreeBSD found one serial port (si0) and looked for another
(sio1) but didn't find it (which is not surprising if it is not there).

> In the end I have no port:
>
> $ ls -lh /dev/cua*
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0,  42 Mar 13 03:59 /dev/cuad0
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0,  43 Mar 13 03:59 /dev/cuad0.init
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0,  44 Mar 13 03:59 /dev/cuad0.lock

And one port (the one detected as sio0) appears in /dev also according to
the above.

There is one serial port and FreeBSD finds it.

I don't see the problem.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson