Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 18:13:20 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel hackers Tricks & Tips

Eivind Eklund scribbled this message on May 22:
> 1. The kernel is large; it is convenient to be able to grep in it
>    without it taking time corresponding to it's size.  To accomplish
>    this, you can use 'glimpse' from the ports collection
>    (textproc/glimpse).
>    To build the indexes (assuming you have your kernel in /sys):
>    % glimpseindex -b /sys/
>                   ^^ large index - no option give you a tiny index
>                   (2-3%), -o small (7-8%), -b large (20-30%)
>    Afterwards, you just use
>    % glimpse <regexp>
>    to search for <regexp>.  Glimpse support a somewhat limited set of
>    regexpen.

this is an absolute must if you need to find stuff, I've been putting
off installing glimpse for a LONG time, and now I regret that I waited
so long...

be prepared for a commit that will document (and remove) a number of
kernel options..

also, if you run across any options that haven't been documented, or
isn't a proper option, send it to me, and I'll document it (or remove
it if it isn't used anymore, like LINUX)... :)

--
  John-Mark Gurney                      Modem Rev/FAX: +1 541 346 9237
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD
	    Don't trust anyone you don't have the source for