Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:09:24 -0500
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Jason Vervlied <jvervlied@boca.verio.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Errors with kde-2.2.1

> Whenever I launch an app in kde-2.2.1 from a shell, I recieve the following
> error messages printed to my console
>
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
> libpng warning: Application  is running with png.c from libpng-1.2.0
>
> Also,  any apps I run, such as kmail have no graphics attached to them.
> When I built kde-2.2.1, I had libpng-1.0.12 and /usr/local/include/png.h is
> from version 1.2.0
>
> Has anyone encountered this error, and if so does anyone know how to
> correct it. KDE is completly unusable at this point because of this.

Yes, this is apparently a FAQ, and not as OS specific one. The errors are the
clues: mismatched header and code for the png libraries. How?

You've got 2 versions of PNG installed. You should have only 1 version of PNG
on your system. Corollary is that all other packages installed must be linked
against that same version of PNG. This happens when some packages are updated
that use libpng and others are not. It seems that it must be an all or
nothing upgrade.

Look on the mailing list archives from about a week ago (search for libpng)
and you'll find the previous discussion; it provides more detail.

FWIW:
KDE and Qt should be able to use their own private version of libpng if
desired. However, their make technology does not support that at the moment.
I investigated this a while back on RH Rawhide and decided I didn't want to
start mucking around in the kde*/admin directories: it affects all of KDE,
and I felt the risk/reward ratio was too high.

--
Alan Eldridge
#include <cstdlib>