Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 22:48:54 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "Gary Lahr" <lahrg@atlanta.ds.adp.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP and DNS

> Is there an implementation on FreeBSD that integrates DHCP and DNS? For =
> example, when DHCP leases an address to a PC, DHCP somehow updates DNS =
> that the IP address is now associated with a certain host name for that =
> PC. The NT version of DHCP and DNS do not communicate and are not =
> scheduled to do so until NT 5.0, but I would prefer to use FreeBSD for =
> this function.

I was under the impression that WINS did this.  Under FreeBSD,
there's no way unless you do it by running dhcpc (or whatever your
DHCP client is) and then send the IP number along with your host name
to a server that'll update & HUP the DNS.  This could be done with a
few scripts pretty easily.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;