Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:30:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, curt@kcwc.com
Subject:   Re: getting oriented with RAID

On 18-Feb-98 Wilko Bulte wrote:

> You want to stay on the outside of your ZBR platters to achieve the
> highest datarates.

My age is showing ... :-)   Yes, on modern disks, the number of sectors per
platter varies, decreasing towards the spindle.

>> Unless you want to do what I used to do for a living for many years
>> (compute
>> all this nonsense), just experiment with drives, busses, stripe sizes,
>> amount of cache, cache utilization, host cache vs. DPT cache, etc.
>
> Not to forget write-back caching (with battery backup please)

Of course.  Caching policy has a huge performace impact.  but you know, at
a certain point it all dies anyway.  Consider a recent project with over 1
billion records in the database.  Cache hit rate is nil, either way.  the
only thing that helps there is elevator sorts and deep execution queues.