Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:03:28 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Smith <freebsd@addict.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support

John Smith wrote:
> Support for FreeBSD 4.11 is going to end sometime in late January.
> Originally, FreeBSD 6.2 was supposed to be released back in
> October.  This would have given everyone about 3 months to stress
> test everything and migrate all their boxes from 4.11 direct to
> 6.2. Now it is near the end of December, and FreeBSD 6.2 RC2 has
> yet to be seen anywhere.  Chances are that FreeBSD 6.2 Release will
> come out earliest mid-January.  This does not give much time for
> people to migrate to the newest FreeBSD release.  I think it would
> be fair if support is extended for a few more months especially
> since 6.2 is so late in coming.

As has been stated many times, the issue here is not one of
"fairness," or any other theoretical concern. The issue is one of
resources, and the resources to continue supporting 4.11 are not there.

That said, there is nothing preventing anyone that needs to from
stress testing the RELENG_6_2 branch right now, in fact we encourage
people to do so! The only thing going into that branch right now are
small fixes, so you can be reasonably sure that what you're testing
now will be very close to what 6.2-RELEASE will look like. Obviously
it would be better if you tracked the -stable and cvs-src mailing
lists while doing your testing, but if you're in the position you
describe it's probably better that you do that anyway.

hth,

Doug