Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 15:29:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cyrus W Moler <moler@battelle.org>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: FreeBSD 2.1

 Hi Stefan,

 Pleased to make your acquaintance.

 >But I'm afraid, I don't quite understand your message.
 >- Does 2.1R fail to complete the boot sequence?

 I guess I wasn't clear.  I have a FreeBSD 2.0R system running.
 I tried to do a complete reinstall using the new 2.1R I just got on CD.
 (I'm installing using the "install.bat" file from MS-DOS.)

 It (2.1R) fails on the CD-ROM driver with the following messages:

     (ncr0:6:0): "CHINON CD-ROM CDS-535 Q20" type 5 removable SCSI2
     cd0(ncr0:6:0): CD-ROM ncr0: SCSI phase error fixup: CCB address mismatch
     (0xf07cd400 != 0xf07cc948)
     ncr0:6: ERROR (80:100) (e-aa-0) (0/13) @ (438:1e000000)
        script cmd = 868b0000
        reg: da 10 80 13 47 00 0b 1f 06 0e 01 aa 80 00 0a 00
     ncr0: handshake timeout

     cd0(ncr0:6:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f07cd400
     can't get the size

 The install proceeds to "sysinstall" but will not let me use the CD-ROM as
 media type.  It says there is no CD-ROM.

 >- Do you boot a GENERIC or customized kernel ?
 This is the install.bat on the CD-ROM, so I guess it would be the GENERIC
 kernel.  Although I did try using the /kernel -c option at boot and disabling
 all the drivers I don't need, this didn't change the result of the boot.
 Funny thing, there is no ncr driver listed, I guess that means there are no
 options for that driver?

 >- What is the final message printed ?
 See above

 I also tried to create a floppy boot disk.  This had the same bad result.

 ----------
 I guess the confusing part is that version 2.0 seemed to exhibit the same
 failure but it was handled by the assertion, now version 2.1 doesn't handle
 the error.  Obviously the ncr driver was changed (I can't say improved), and
 now it's broke for me.

 So what is my solution?  Can I update everything except the ncr driver, using
 the Unix file system on the second CD, (The Walnut Creek release contains 2
 CD's.  One is MS-DOS based and the second is a UFS), and if so how?

 Any insight you could provide would be highly appreciated.

 Thanks, and Happy Holidays to you and yours!
 Cy Moler
 moler@battelle.org