Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 09:15:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Final request for help with release. (DPT boot floppy)

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Tom Samplonius wrote:
>
> >   But according to recent discusions, core has rejected the DPT driver as
> > it stands...
>
> Which `core'?  Your core memory?  Dunno.  The NetBSD core team?
> Dunno.  If the term `core', as you're using it, stands as an
> abbreviation for ``The FreeBSD core team'', then i'm surprised to hear
> that you're a member of it, apparently.  Otherwise, how did you learn
> this news?  I believe i'm a member of this core team, and i frankly
> can't remember any decision of the kind you're quoting above.  So the
> only explanation, short of you throwing a lie around, is that it must
> have been some other `core'.

  That is what the driver writer said in freebsd-scsi.

> Stop spreading misinformation, and please, think before posting.
> Sentences like these can quickly start major flame wars, and insult
> personal feelings, as you've already seen from Simon's reaction (which
> is, assuming your words would be truth, understandable).

  Flame wars?  Have you seen any flames yet?  The only flames I see, are
coming from you.  Rather than freaking out about this, perhaps you should
just ask to see where this was mentioned.  Don't shoot the messager.

  I'm basically repeating what was said in freebsd-scsi.  Which was that
the dpt driver would not be integrated as-is.  This is NOT misinformation.
Check the archives.

  As for Simon's reaction, I don't know.  My original message was to
Jordon, who's statement that an easy way to get a dpt bootable disk would
be to get the dpt driver into current, to which I wanted to make two
points:  that patches to current are available now, and that the dpt
driver has is apparently not acceptable as-is.

> The truth is, the developer who volunteered to do the DPT driver
> integration, is Justin Gibbs.  (He's incidentally also a member of the
> FreeBSD core team, but that doesn't matter much in this respect except
> that one can take it as a sign of some experience in FreeBSD matters.)
> He had some critics on the DPT driver code (which he discussed with
> Simon), but he never claimed he would reject the driver wholesale.

  I've never heard Justin say yes or no on this matter.  I've exchanged
private e-mail with him some time ago, at which point he was going to be
integrating the driver.  However, since the dpt requires modification in
other parts of the system beyond the SCSI subsystem, I doubt that Justin
in the only one involved.  A key issue seems to be software interupts.
The dtp driver is apparently the only driver to use them.

> No, i don't speak for the core team (can't do so without prior
> discussion, obviously), but felt some words of correction were due
> now, immediately.

  I feel some words of correction are necessary.  If you don't won't to
start flame wars, why didn't you just aske "where did you here that core
wouldn't the accept the driver?", and I could have answered
"freebsd-scsi", and everyone would be happy.

> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

Tom