Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:00:27 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What Happens if you Run pkg2ng Multiple Times?

--qOogV1psUTksi8X9hqwpQHLaH8BhWCLAT

On 07/23/14 15:08, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
> To make a long story short, I logged in to the same system
> twice instead of two different systems once. I realized
> something was wrong when pkg2ng got to the shared libraries part
> and one of the instances reported they were locked . Everything
> seems to be okay but I am just checking while backups are all
> recent.

It depends if you updated or installed some other packages between the
two runs of pkg2ng.  If you didn't then it should be harmless.

Otherwise, try running 'pkg info' and see if there are things obviously
missing or added.  Even if you have screwed up your package database,
you can recover a lot by reinstalling the packages concerned.  Note that
screwing up the package DB will have no operational effect on your
system until you need to do your next round of package updates so it may
be better to just live with the broken pkg DB for a while, and plan out
reinstalling stuff at leisure rather than dropping everything and trying
to fix it immediately.

	Cheers,

	Matthew