Date:      18 Aug 2002 21:43:35 +0200
From:      Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef@web.de>
To:        Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making a new port - make install wants to strip a shell script

Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk> writes:

> >Is allegro-config one of your assorted extras? (I guess so; if your port
> >is Allegro Common Lisp, it doesn't contain such a script AFAIK)
>
> Nope, you're giving me far too much credit, I'm starting out with
> something easy :-)

Actually, Allegro CL would be rather easy, FreeBSD is one of it's
supported platforms. However:

> All I've added has been a little shell script that makes the Makefile
> usable by the ports system, seriously low grade tinkering.

Huh? I don't think I understand what you are doing here.

> allegro-config is a Bourne script that is part of the standard install,
> and by default it goes in bin.
>
> >If so, how do you install it? You should use ${INSTALL_SCRIPT}, not
> >${INSTALL_PROGRAM}, because the latter will try to strip the installed
> >program.

I don't think you need this, or any do-install at all. I just had a
quick look at allegro, and it compiled and installed just fine out of
the box, including allegro-config.

So, just setting GNU_CONFIGURE and USE_GMAKE to yes should be enough.

> Kevin,
>       worried about just what he missed in bsd.port.mk this time

Sorry if I completely misunderstand the problem, but - did you read
the Porter's Handbook?[1] It looks as if you do rather strange things,
and trying to learn building ports from bsd.port.mk would be an easy
way to get confused...

Maybe you could post your Makefile?

Regards
Henrik