Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:16:52 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To:        David Erickson <erickson@mddsg.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MAC Address

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, David Erickson wrote:

> > Sounds to me all this is just_slightly_unethical_if
> > _not_bordering_on_illegal. This is a topic for a security mailing list?
> > I thought we were here to boost network security, not circumvent it.
> > Just a network technician's opinion.
>
> How is it unethical to change ones MAC address?  First of all a MAC address
> is only used on your local LAN segment.  MAC Addresses do not traverse over
> IP.  Once your traffic hits a router the traffic is then relayed.  ARP is

The most interesting question is if I know some mac address on a switched
network and then I set my mac address to this address, if some switches
_will_ deliver packets to me as well? It might be interesting sniffing
strategy on a switched network if some switches work this way.
Thoughts?

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]