Date:      Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:01:10 -0500
From:      "John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell" <johnandsara2@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdm-options - non-bsd user needs bsd rc.d advice

Hi.  I'm a BSD idiot I use [Debian] linux.

rc.d question

I'm trying to release a project (just below) to the widest possible unix
audience.  I need a line in "/etc/inittab" and to have a start/stop in
"/etc/rc.d", nothing unusual I think.  I read many freeBSD rc.d
materials and it only convinced me as much as I'd learned: if I'm not
running BSD I don't know enough to talk about it :)

I'm not sure how a real BSD hacker would place a "simple start stop".
Not where or how, not even after reading the docs.

Also I'm not sure the project is good enough to warrant further testing
/ if the casual user might save time / effort with it. Tell me what you
think if you have time!  Who doesn't want feedback?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdm-options/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xdm-options/
(second has httpS)

(xdm sample scripts but "complete / round trip".  chooser, login,
desktop chooser, xdm server: by menu with no hacking required on any
unix, saving the casual xdm interested person time in use or setup, is
my hope)

... it uses no libs at all

If anyone would like to quickly comment I'd love to hear why bsd would
be a better choice than ubantu (for what audience it is better).

Thanks all,

John