Date:      Sun, 26 May 1996 13:25:46 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis), amcrae@cisco.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Routers and FreeBSD (let's have a bakeoff)

> > Just for fun though, whats the mininum cost for a unit with two
> > Fast Ethernets and a dual T1 and enough memory (at least 32
> > meg) to be multi-homed running BGP4? PC cost is under
> > $2500. and it does quite nicely.
>
> Again you stack the desk.  Why?
>
> Two T1 inbound circuits require no more than ordinary Ethernet (3MB
> aggregate total on each T1 <= ~6Mbps (nominal REAL Ethernet throughput
> under load).
>
> I can come up with contrived examples all day.  So can you.  Why are you
> doing so?  The rest of us are trying to keep away from that game.
>
> Further, that "multi homed Pentium box" will be VERY unlikely to be able
> to survive serious convergence situations and still be forwarding packets
> during the event.  It further has to handle MEDs and policy routing to
> be considered something I would recommend that anyone actually run in
> a multihomed configuration (this is presuming you really want to
> load-balance instead of just using one of the T1s for backup :-)
>
> >> I consider the access stuff fairly dinky :-)
> >
> > and the most lucrative.
>
> Which is why ASCEND just blew the doors off all the access router people a
> couple of months ago (the P130 again) which, dollar-for-dollar, outruns any
> PC *OR* traditional router solution.

Hi,

V-site.net is a small ISP which uses an Ascend P400. My FreeBSD plus my
Ascend Pipeline 50 is periodically knocking off the Ascend P400.

Can anyone on the list make a recommendation to replace the Ascend P400?
Since I know my ISP for about 20 years or so, if I can make a good
recommendation he will go for it.

	Tnks,
	Amancio