Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:22:34 -0400
From:      "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do i change my windows manager?

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 07:54:51AM -0700, Bsd Neophyte wrote:

> i've installed hackedbox through the ports... but i'm having problems
> trying to get it to load instead of twm(?).
>
> i've tried reading the handbook, but that didn't help me understand what
> to do with the .xinit file... and the xfree86 site was of even less help
> with it's documentation that's not expecially good for a newbie.

XDM uses .xsession, which must be executable. So assuming the other
replies were correct:

  $ cat >.xsession
  #!/bin/sh
  exec hackedbox
  ^D
  $ chmod 700 .xsession

startx (which runs xinit) uses .xinitrc, which is automagically run via
/bin/sh.

  $ echo "exec hackedbox" >.xinitrc

I prefer to set up .xinitrc as an executable script, and then simply
(soft)link .xsession to it.

--
..: Chad Daelhousen == cd9@buffalo.edu :.........: sig v3.1 :...
: Programming for 10 +/- 2 years (50 +/- 10% of a lifetime)    :