Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 19:36:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        cnielsen@pobox.com
Cc:        Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Libutils on Sparc64/Sparc32

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Christopher Nielsen wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Paolo Di Francesco wrote:
>
> > has someone put his hands on the binutils/bfd? Have we  to modify something
> > here? (Add a file corresponding to the freebsd-sparc entry?)
>
> No changes need to be made to binutils-2.9.1, AFAIK.
>
> > In the meantime.... Has someone a working toolchain here? If yes, have you
> > tried to do some cross-compiling? Are you sure it works?
>
> I have what appears to be a working toolchain based on binutils-2.9.1 and
> gcc-2.7.2.2 with ultraP patches and Kapil Chowksey's patches. I've
> compiled a simple C program with success, though it doesn't link (I think
> Alfred Perlstein has a fix for this). I haven't tested that the program
> DTRT when run, since a) it won't link and b) I don't have a machine
> running Solaris7 (Kapil Chowksey mentioned this as a requirement).

The problem with linking is that there is no crt*.o, which are the asm
startup stubs for the code.

I'm going to do a couple things, look at netbsd, comapre to ours for i386
and see what can be done.

Someone gave me code for a bootstrapping kernel, and i'm going to put this
up in the repository i'm going to setup.

I'm trying to get it to compile under my usr/src/sys/sparc64 dir...

we'll see soon.

I can't get solaris ld to link the files into an executable even when i
provide an on-sparc compiled 'main' and use sunproC compiler.

Remeber, this is new to me, i'll figure it out soon.

I think we still have 'bad magic' in the object files so the linker
refuese to link them.  Also, gcc's asm output does not agree with sunPro
either so it's difficult to test that...

By glancing over the simple asm code i've generated it looks proper.

What i hope to do is use the kernel code supplied to me for printf stuff,
basically get it to boot on the sparc via tftp and see what i can get it
to print out and such.

-Alfred