Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:40:23 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie port help

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 04:28:06PM -0500, leegold wrote:
> I tried doing a make in the dir of the port I wanted
> to install ( midnight commander ) and the machine
> tried to ftp to a site to get the tar ball but could not make a connection(?)
>
> 1. All the documentation on installing applications
> via ports assumes I have a ready connection (?)

Yes, if you want to use ports, you need to have an internet connection.
However, if you bought FreeBSD on CD, you presumably have a *package* of
midnight commander somewhere on the discs (I'd guess disc 1 or 2, but I'm
not sure). Look around for a file named mc-*.tgz, where * is some version
number (like 4.5.54).

If you find it, you can install it as root by doing

# pkg_add mc-*.tgz

This will not give you the latest version however - if you want that, you
need to use ports. If you want to spend minimal time online for ports, you
can use the command

$ make fetch

in the directory of the port you want to build when you're online. Then
you'll only fetch the files necessary for building the port on your machine,
so you can disconnect when that command finishes.

> ps. How can I tell how big a download will be?
> ie how big is the tarball? assume midnite commander
> is reasonable with a dial uo line(?)

How much time this takes depends on the port. For midnight commander this is
about 6 or 7 megabytes as a guess (I'm a bit surprised about that myself...)

HTH,

--Stijn

--
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."