Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:12:06 -0800
From:      Stephen Hurd <hurds@sasktel.net>
To:        Jayton Garnett <jayton.garnett@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: LinuxBSDos.com article

That's like saying "Why bother with TCP/IP when I have PCIe?"

MIDI is a protocol and the support that's (apparently) missing is the ability to speak this protocol to devices which use it (such as drum sets) over a port which exists soley to transmit this protocol (the MIDI/Game port on your sound card).

Turning a MIDI track into audio is a separate issue... if I happened to own a selection of drum machines and synthesizers and instead of being able to use them, I suddnely must use software synthesis output via the sound card, this would be a massive step down in quality regardless of it being 5.1 surround at 96MHz.

The decision to not support it would be (was?) like deciding to not support firewire... dropping support for an interface/protocol which a small set of people in a specific group use but laregly doesn't impart the average user.