Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:40:32 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1009255232.b4bee9@mired.org>
To:        "Alson van der Meulen" <alm@flutnet.org>, Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade: integration with the main FreeBSD tree?

Alson van der Meulen <alm@flutnet.org> types:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 12:08:02AM +0000, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
> >   Portupgrade is a powerfull tool and I'd like to make the
> >   following question:
> >   	- why not integrate portupgrade with the main FreeBSD tree?
> >   I'm not a programmer to talk about Ruby or other language, but I'd like to know
> >   if there is any solution like:
> >
> >   	- change Ruby to other language so that portupgrade can be integrated in FreeBSD?
> Might be hard to do, or the auther might disagree. The same goes for
> cvsup, that is written in modula-3, an even more obscure language :P

cvsup is different, because modula-3 is a compiled language. It's
actually possible to install a cvsup binary without installing
anything of modula-3. Since Ruby is interpreted, that doesn't
work. You have to install Ruby to run things written in Ruby.

Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net> types:
> I'd be even happier if all the perl in the base system was replaced
> with Ruby, especially since Ruby is smaller, but I guess we can't have
> everything :)

That doesn't seem so outlandish. Perl was added to the base system
because parts of the build system were written in Perl. If you chased
down and rewrote all those in Ruby, I certainly wouldn't object
(though I'd rather do it in Python :-). You would be replacing one
large GPL'ed package with a slightly smaller one, which is good.

That would also solve the problem of needing a different version of
Perl than is installed on the system. At least, one hopes that Ruby
causes less breakage between versions than Perl does. It might be
worth bringing up on -hackers or -arch.

One final note: the long-term goal is to replace the packages system
with something that's much smarter, via the libh project.

	<mike