Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2011 19:16:25 -0800
From:      Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
To:        bf1783@gmail.com
Cc:        "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why can't I install icu?

> Try again, with a clean build, after having made sure that you've
> removed all remnants of the earlier icu versions; and make a
> transcript of the build:
>
> pkg_delete -fv "icu2-*" "icu-*"
> script /tmp/icu.log
> make -C /usr/ports/devel/icu deinstall clean install
> exit
>
> If the problem still occurs, then you should file a problem report:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/article.html
>
> Make sure you attach the config.log from the failed build (look for it
> in the work directory of the port before cleaning up), as well as the
> transcript (/tmp/icu.log) of the failed build.
>
> If there aren't any pre-built binary packages of the latest versions
> of icu and gimp available, and you don't want to wait for them to be
> produced, or for the problem to be fixed; and (as apparently is the
> case) the build is working, but only the post-build tests are failing;
> then first disable the tests and then try to build and install icu.
> You can do that by editing the port Makefile and commenting-out the
> following line:
>
> post-build test regression-test: iotest cintltst intltest
>
> (Of course, this change will probably be wiped out each time you
> update your ports tree.)
>
> b.

Thank you for your excellent, detailed instructions.  I have followed
them to the letter.  The build did not make after doing a pkg_delete and
deinstall, so I sent a pr-send with a copy of the icu.log and
config.log.  BTW, the build failed at the same place it always
has---during the test.  I went ahead and commented out the suggested
line in the Makefile and the install took place as expected.  I realize
that during subsequent upgrades I will have to do the same drill.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers...

Rem