Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:35:32 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        "Balaji, Pavan" <pavan.balaji@intel.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Unable to compile the kernel

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Balaji, Pavan wrote:

> > Which error?
>
> No fixed error. I just core dumps at random places. It sounds weird, since
> it's only a compilation and not a runtime library, but it's been happening
> since last night.

gcc dying and dumping core at random places is an indication of harware
problems. The most common are:

1. faulty memory
2. faulty cache
3. cooling problems
4. overclocking
5. Bad timing settings in the BIOS

If it were related to your new kernel, it would be more deterministic.

> > Which system call?
>
> My own system call. It's an empty function right now.

How did you add the syscall? Is it a KLD or is it built into the kernel?
Did you modify syscalls.master. How did you get the syscall #?. Could you
post your syscall code and *any other modifications to the kernel* you made?

> > > Did anyone else have such a problem? Any suggestions? Tips?
> >
> > Could you post more details?
>
> I suspect some dumb a** must have hardcoded the number of system calls
> somewhere in the kernel and that's what is giving the problem.

No, it is not. You can even add syscalls dynamically via a KLD.
It is easier to develop the syscall as a KLD and then add it statically
to the kernel.

			Fer