Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:04:00 +0200
From:      Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
To:        Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arbitrary programs in /etc/ttys

Hello,

Geert Hendrickx wrote:

>ttyv0	"/usr/bin/cu -l cuaa0"		vt100  on  secure
>
>But this gives me the following error when restarting init:
>
>init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs
>
>Apparently cu can not be started directly from /etc/ttys, can it?  How
>else should I accomplish this?

I think you are trying to start cu on a _virtual_ terminal (ttyvN). In
my /etc/ttys the section with the virtual terminals is followed by these
entries:

# Serial terminals
# The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
# Dumb console
dcons   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure

I think you just need to turn the corresponding serial port "on". I am
not sure if you can create a login screen on your soon-to-be terminal
automatically upon startup of the FreeBSD box, however...

Hope this helps,
Benjamin