Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 95 12:08:20 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Some serious problems with telnet in FreeBSD 2.0.5 R

> One problem is Macintosh NCSA Telnet 2.6:
>
>  - minor problem: on connect it does not prompt "login:" it does
>    write the line "FreeBSD (itu.cc.jyu.fi) (ttyp0)"
>    After extra return user will get the login:

BSD is not convinced option negitiation has completed and is waiting for
a response.

>  - major problem: on vi and emacs Contro-Z works strange:
>    1. it does not move the cursor to the end of screen
>    2. if a give command fg, emacs and vi do not go to the character mode
>       and do not redraw the screen, terminal seems to be on line mode.
>    Thsi same problem with DOS NCSA Telnet

Are you negotiating line mode for a tty connection?  If you as a client
negotiate line mode, you are required to support IAC (IsACommand) mode
switching (or it's not OK for you to negotiate line mode).

> Problem with FTP Software (DOS) telnet and (Windows) tnvt terminal emulators:
>
>  - in the preferences I can set Enter = cr+lf  or  Enter = cr
>    cr+lf nor cr works perfect:
>    FreeBSD is interpreting cr+lf as two Enters
>    if I define Enter=cr FreeBSD is outputting characters ^@ (NULL?)
>    to the start of next line
>    and I cannot for example enter "." to the
>    start of line (because FreeBSD is seeing the ^@ in the start of every line)

This is a "feature" of FTP software's end of line handling.  The ^@ (null)
comes from them still writing two bytes, but blowing one of them to null.
Bad code all around.

The initial problem is that the FTP software is OK'ing negotiating binary
mode when it in fact doesn't work correctly.

> It seems that FreeBSD's telnetd is waiting for NewLine character (^J) not
> the Return (^M) character at end of line. Other systems here (Linux, SunOS,
> HPUX) seem to accept both cr+lf and cr.

This is binary vs. non-binary mode.  Why is your client OK'ing binary
mode?

> Is cr+lf or cr a matter of TERMCAP entry (vt220, vt200)? Or is this problem
> in telnetd code?

Neither.  It is the telnet code client code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.