Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:42:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian O'Shea <b_oshea@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Spurrious backquote character

Greetings,

I am running FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE with XFree86 4.2.1 and have noticed
a strange effect.  Every so often a spurrious backquote "`" character
is generated when I am typing.

It only seems to happen when I am running X, although I have not tested
this sufficiently since I do not type on the console very often.  It
usually happens when I start to type after waiting for a few seconds,
although it will sometimes occur w`hile I am typing like this. (that
example was artificially produced for demonstration only.)  I only ever
see one spurrious backquote at a time (i.e. never two or more ``like this).

Has anyone else seen anything like this?  I don't know how to
characterize it since it seems to happen randomly.  Otherwise the system
is quite usable and it rarely interferes with my work (it is most annoying
when typing at the shell prompt, as you might imagine, or editing a file
with vi).

Cheers,
-brian

$ uname -a
FreeBSD svarga 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan 16 22:16:53 GMT 2003
    root@hollin.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386