Date:               Mon, 10 Jul 1995 14:37:54 +0500
From:      "Alex Mondale" <Alex.Mondale@nsta.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         attack of the FAT

I have tried in vain to get 2.0.5 release to live peacefully with
Windows NT Workstation 3.5. They both have different views of the
universe, particularly each others' FAT table. I have a promise IDE
caching controller with 8mb RAM that occasionally doesn't see the two
LBA-mapped drives attached to it (it is capable of mapping four
drives via bios address 170), but in this case I power off and back
on and it usually sees the drives. Then comes the fun part. After the
BSD installation successfully concludes, the #2 partition on the C:
drive (where BSD is #3) reports numerous and unrecoverable scrambled
files under SCANDISK, most often after Windows NT has "written a
harmless disk label on logical drive 0. BSD then reports
unrecoverable file errors ("run fsck manually") on the wd0s1e (/usr)
partition. It is a nasty see-saw I have yet to figure out a fix for,
but to date have reinstalled bsd and dos (and restored data from
tape) approximately five times. I have ruled out caching switch in
the hdc bios, since it has the same anti-social behavior with caching
on and off. I have also ruled out the OS/2 boot manager, which I use
to access OS/2 on the second drive (where I intend to install bsd
next as an experiment).

Can any one out there help?

Thanks.

Alex Mondale