Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:50:48 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: server is crashing constantly

--------------enigA9EE61F561D5C3C83995E28B

Jonathan Horne wrote:
> I have a new web server for a moderately high traffic website that i ha=
ve recently deployed for a friend.  it has apache22, php5, and mysql50 on=
 it (latest from ports).  this server is crashing 2-3 times a day, and th=
us far i have no idea where to start troubleshooting this.
 #0: Fri Sep  5 01:58:09 CDT 2008     root@rangerpowersports:/usr/obj/usr=
/src/sys/RPS  i386
>=20
> Any ideas or recommendations about where to start looking to track this=
 down would really be appreciated.

Enable dumpdev and dumpdir in rc.conf, here's the manual excerpt:

     dumpdev     (str) Indicates the device (usually a swap partition) to=

                 which a crash dump should be written in the event of a
system
                 crash.  If the value of this variable is ``AUTO'', the
first
                 suitable swap device listed in /etc/fstab will be used a=
                 dump device.  Otherwise, the value of this variable is
passed
                 as the argument to dumpon(8).  To disable crash dumps, s=
et
                 this variable to ``NO''.

     dumpdir     (str) When the system reboots after a crash and a crash
dump
                 is found on the device specified by the dumpdev variable=
,
                 savecore(8) will save that crash dump and a copy of the
ker-
                 nel to the directory specified by the dumpdir variable.
 The
                 default value is /var/crash.  Set to ``NO'' to not run
                 savecore(8) at boot time when dumpdir is set.

Then, when it crashes, inspect the dump. See here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-gdb.h=
tml

If you suspect it's a FreeBSD problem and not a hardware problem, you'll
need to send debugging data similar to that in the example in handbook.