Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2017 10:53:44 +0100
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flavors *COMPLETELY* break the port system (synth and poudriere are useless)

--BtqKfOwkmft3ILr3pf81jJlTi0U7lGTO6
From: Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
To: Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Flavors *COMPLETELY* break the port system (synth and poudriere
 are useless)

--Qm4otQ5gEQNT7PxJc1gOEOTLtsBHTwixq

Le 05/12/2017 =C3=A0 23:25, Baho Utot a =C3=A9crit=C2=A0:

> On 12/05/17 17:09, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
>> Le 05/12/2017 =C3=A0 10:53, Aryeh Friedman a =C3=A9crit=C2=A0:
>>> TL;DR;
>>> Flavors <bleep>'ed up ports and there are no good ways/alternates
>>> for how
>>> to use the ports collection for normal everyday users/maintainers
>>

>> Thank you for supporting all the hard work and countless hours that so=

>> many volunteers put in making the ports tree better.
>>
>> It really helps motivate all of us continue bringing the ports tree
>> forward when we get emails with so much joy and positive attitude.
>>

> Thank you for taking a perfectly good system and breaking it as well
> as making it unusable, unstable.=C2=A0 You just don't know of all the
> countless hours spent after running an update and taking a week to get
> it working again.
>
> It really helps motivate all of us users to continue to have to fix
> broken systems due to broken ports system and then be told how great
> things are, brings us so much joy and keeps our attitude positive.

For the users using binary packages, poudriere, or the ports tree
directly nothing changed.

For users of third party abandonware, well, they were warned that it was
bound to happen at one point, and guess what, it happened. I don't
really understand why you continue spending all this time complaining
whereas switching to, say, poudriere, would have taken you about 5 minute=
s.

--=20
Mathieu Arnold