Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 00:24:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        faber@ISI.EDU (Ted Faber)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone got xanim 2.80.1 port using dlls?

According to Ted Faber:
> Questions: Has anyone gotten xanim to work with the dynamic codecs?
> If so how?  If not, would it be worthwhile to ask Mark Podlipec to
> compile us a set for FreeBSD dlls, and what would we need to give him
> to do so (presumably a copy of our libc would be sufficient)?

From the Xanim www page (http://xanim.va.pubnix.com/):
---
If you find that your platform is not supported you have two options to help me help you:

    1) The preferred solution is to provide me with
       a C cross-compiler that runs on a linux ELF
       glibc 2.* machine and is capable of producing
       shared libraries for your platform.

    2) Alternatively, you can donate(not loan) to me a machine
       that has networking support and has all the necessary
       software installed to compile C source code into a
       shared library.  I won't need a monitor if I can somehow
       find a cable that will connect the video out to individual
       RGB BNC connectors or a standard VGA connector.
       Again, this isn't the preferred way, since it's easier
       for me to have the cross-compiler. The only advantage
       this has is for audio support and if I need to debug
       the dlls.

    NOTE: since I'm under NDA for most of the dlls, I can't
    give out the source. Nor can I upload the source to an
    account that is provided to me for the purposes of doing
    a compile.
---

So... what would be needed and probably best, is for someone to sit down and
fix a cross compiler enviroment for FreeBSD that can run on Linux. Unless
there is someone here with too much money that could buy an extra machine,
install a nice install of FreeBSD, and ship it to him.

  /Mikael